Friday 15 June 2012

Local festivities for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee

 Did you know that this year marked the Queen's 60th year on the throne?  Nor did I.  I am not much of a royalist (did you hear Kate is pregnant?) and other than the fact that my grandma looks just like the queen, I am not too sentimental that it is her 60th year.  That is until our village decided to pull out all the stops and decorated lamp posts with gold crown shield and in our little duck pond was an amazing replica of the House of Parliament. 

 Kids at the local school and in the community were given the opportunity to make a boat that would sail on the village celebration day.  We did two, one for each of the kids, in wonderful Stockmar painted bliss.  The crowd was overwhelming and although it was nice to see all our village friends, we were all a bit freaked out.  My brother and missus (minus the ring) were in town and they managed to hold it together by feeding me strawberries and cream and slipping me small sips of beer.  Narina, on the other hand, promptly peed in her trousers for the first time since we started potty training, two weeks prior. 

We stayed an hour and went home, a little wet, and happy to have the quiet of our farm to enjoy for the rest of the long weekend. 

1 comment:

  1. I love how you put in that your grandmother looks like the queen. Do people come up to your grandmother and ask her if she is the queen? What's with the sour face in the last picture?


    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

Play nice kids or no wooden toys and millet for you!