Friday 15 July 2011

Listening for free

I am not sure how I came across LibriVox, the free audio books (from the public domain), but I have become addicted.  I listen to a handfull of podcasts every week, usually when it is my turn to do the dishes or when I am doing non-doll related sewing, but on busy and messy weeks I run out of things to listen to by Wednesday.  I then found LibriVox and downloaded a few books first chapters. I forgot they were on my phone until months later.  Now I look forward to washing the dishes.  Yes, me. 

Have you ever been addicted to a show you can't stand?  I have, and that is why we don't have a TV.  I get so sucked into things even if I don't like them.  I have been listening to a childhood favorite of mine. Their has been around 5 different readers so far and I am on chapter 19.  Of the readers, there are people who sound like they are in the movie Fargo, young readers who over enunciate and don't know intonation, a man who sounds like he does the voice for coming attractions in movie theaters, and the latest one, a woman with a wonderful accent that I think might be Indian.  She was by far the best at being a natural reader and it gave listening to the ever so white adventures of this story a really awesome twist.  The lack of continuity between the voices actually really disrupts my listening experience.  I get used to one person's quirks and the next person comes along and has a whole other lot of issues. (Perhaps it is me with the issues.) Some people advertise their own websites when they do the intro, some people can't pronouce the author's name or the name of the site they are being hosted on...LibriVox.  Yet I can't stop. 

Has anyone else listened to books from LibriVox yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice kids or no wooden toys and millet for you!