Saturday 23 April 2011

Love in the warmth of the sun

The weather here has been so nice for the Easter break.  As the farmers said that work the land around our house, it is not good for the crops.  It has been a long time since we have seen rain.  I am not complaining, but can feel the energy of the land.  Even our hardiest weeds are drooping.  It is the first time since 1946, or so I am told, that all three orchard crops bloomed at the same time.  Pear, plum and apple.  I am really enjoying the heat.

Over the past few years, this kind of heat has put me off.  Two years ago I was late in my pregnancy when it was this warm and would have been happy sitting in a cool freeze storage facility. Last year I had a young lass who could hardly move and I spent the whole summer trying to keep her from getting sun burnt.  To have her dropping seeds into holes, bring the weeds over the the wheelbarrow, and putting stones from one pot to the next is nothing short of a dream.  I love watching her explore the outside world.  Dan is being an amazing father.  He has been spending so much time with her so that I can get extra sleep in the morning.  It has been a kind week for us here.

It is going to be quiet around here this week.  Yesterday was the start of the long weekend which stretches until Tuesday.  Thursday is the Royal Wedding.  So most people have taken off the week.  Having two days in a row without the sound of idling tractors and Land Rovers has made my heart so happy.  All day today there have been no people sounds at all, other than those coming from my own family.  Sublime.   

So as the smell of freshly baked bread wafts outside, and clothing gently waves in the wind on the line, I am once again reminded of the beauty of nature, the blessings with each change of season, and the power of family.




 PP (post post): This was Narina's first popsicle.  She really isn't sure if she likes it.  She ate two of them and was still unsure. It wass made from mango, orange and banana juice with a little "green drink" mix thrown in.  We are having a bit of a struggle with vegetables at the moment so thought this might be a good way to squeeze them in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice kids or no wooden toys and millet for you!