Friday 4 February 2011

Reality Check: Waldorf Wednesday that couldn't wait

We had gone to a toddler group in the morning, nap time was a success (meaning she had one) and after a quick stroll around the farm, I had decided we would do our Waldorf Wednesday project for next week.  I had bought Stockmar paints late last year and have used them to do wet on wet painting  for star votives and price tags at the Steiner school fairs I have had tables at.  I thought it would be a great way to have a special moment and make my business card background for the next sale I am going to be at in a month.  I mix the paint as directed.  I don’t have a fancy wooden holder for my sweet little jars, I have baby food jars from a friend of ours.  They still have the glue stuck to the sides.  I put them on the table and go to get the bucket of water to soak the paper in.  Fill it, put Narina in her chair, bib on.  We have the brushes in the old yogurt tub of water.  We don’t have/ can’t afford/ haven’t made yet painting boards so I use plastic place mats.  We don’t have natural sponge to wipe off the surface then wipe off the paper, so I use a baby cloth.

I go to pick out a piece of paper for Narina and I see a white clump of what looks like soap floating in the water.  The last time I used this bucket was to give myself a pedicure.  It was during this pedicure that I noticed half my big toenail was coming off.  I panicked, raced to the internet to see possible causes, left the water to cool, realised I wasn’t going to be going back to that pedicure any time soon.  I dumped the water and raced onto the next thing.  Without. washing. it. out.  So in my peaceful tranquil moment with my daughter, with half the “right” equipment, it dawned on me that a callous was floating on the paper.  I took it off, ignored the rest of what was floating in the water, and we painted.

The moral of the story?

    1.    We are doing our Waldorf experience on a budget
    2.    Man am I on a learning curve
    3.    Don’t use pedicure basins for crafts with children until disinfected first.
    4.    Don’t read other amazing and beautiful waldorf blogs right after you fish callouses out of your water
           because it can make a really amazing and funny experience seem like its corners haven’t been rounded.  



I think she is looking at the callous










3 comments:

  1. my children at 9 and 10 still love the wet on wet painting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew. and Awesome.

    I love this post so much, I would marry it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comments.

    @ angie: I hope we are still wet on wet painting when my daughter is 10.
    @ Amanda: I know, right! Makes me feel like laughing and throwing up at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

Play nice kids or no wooden toys and millet for you!